The Tulane School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine began in 1912 with a donation from New Orleans’ businessman Samuel Zemurray, and is celebrating the centennial of its founding in November 2012. F. Creighton William served as the school’s first dean from 1913-1914, and was succeeded by William H. Seeman. In 1919 the School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine merged with the College of Medicine.
Degree programs for the Master of Public Health (MPH) and Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (MPH&TM) began in 1947, with doctoral programs beginning a few years later in 1950. Grace A. Goldsmith became the dean of Tulane’s School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine when the school re-emerged as a separate academic unit in 1967. The first undergraduate class of public health students was admitted to earn BSPH degrees in 2008.
Historical information on the Tulane School of Public Health is available in the book, The Tulane University Medical Center: one hundred and fifty years of medical education edited by John Duffy (LSU Press: 1984). A timeline and more historical information of Tulane SPHTM is available via School History on the Tulane University School of Public Health Website.